Translate

segunda-feira, 28 de abril de 2014

Simple Past - Regular verbs

.Regular verbs
infinitive + -ed
Add -ed with regular verbs
Sometimes there are exceptions in spelling when adding -ed.
1) consonant after short, stressed vowel at the end of the word
Double the consonant.
stop – stopped
swap - swapped
If the consonant is not stressed, we do not double it:
benefit - benefited (Here we stress the first 'e', not the 'i'.) In British English we double one -l at the end of the word:
travel - travelled

2) one -e at the end of the word add only d.
love – loved
save – saved
3) verbs ending in -y
verbs ending in 'y' preceded by a vowel (a, e, i, o, u): Add -ed.
Example:
I play - he played
verbs ending in 'y' preceded by a consonant: Change 'y' to 'i' Then add -ed.
Example:
I hurry - he hurried



Pronunciation of the ending -ed in the Simple Past

In the Simple Past we add -ed to regular verbs. Be careful pronuncing the verbs:
1) verbs ending in -ed preceded by a voiceless consonant [p, k, f, ʃ, ʧ, s, θ]
-> speak
[t].
The -e is silent. Example: I stop - I stopped [stɒpt]
2) verbs ending in -ed preceded by a voiced consonant [b, g, v, ʒ, ʤ, z, ð, l, m, n]       or a vowel
-> speak
[d].

The -e is silent. Example: I clean - I cleaned [kli:nd]
3) verbs ending in -ed preceded by [t] or [d]
-> speak [
ɪd].

The -e changes to [ɪ]. Example: I visit - I visited [vɪzɪtɪd]


FORM OF THE SIMPLE PAST

Form the Simple Past:
- with regular verbs:
infinitive + -ed
- with irregular verbs: use the 2nd column of the table of the irregular verbs

Affirmative sentences:

Use the same form of the verb every time regardless the subject.
regular verbs
irregular verbs
I played football.
I went to the supermarket.

Negative sentences:

Use the auxiliary did (Simple Past of do) every time regardless the subject.
           regular verbs
irregular verbs
I did not play football.
I did not go to the supermarket.
NOTE: Short forms in negative sentences in the Simple Past are used quite often.
regular verbs
irregular verbs
I didn't play football.
I didn't go to the supermarket.

Questions:

Use the auxiliary did (Simple Past of do) every time regardless the subject.

regular verbs                                                                         irregular verbs
Did you play football?                                                Did I go to the supermarket?

SIMPLE PAST - USE

The Simple Past is used to talk about actions or situations in the past. It is also called Past Simple.
Have a look at the following examples:

1) action started and finished in the past (single or repeated)

I visited Berlin last week.
Andrew watched TV yesterday.
Simple Past

2) series of completed actions in the past

First I got up, then I had breakfast.
Simple Past

SIMPLE PAST – TIME EXPRESSIONS

These words tell you what tense you have to use. For the Simple Past these are expressions of time in the past.
yesterday
yesterday morning/ afternoon/ evening/
last Sunday /
last week / weekend/ month/ year/
a month ago / a year ago / three months ago /
in 2002

http://pt.slideshare.net/simoneplnunes/savedfiles?s_title=simple-past-10537551&user_login=magdali26979

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário